how to train the thighs in a specific way to tone them and have them firm: the complete guide to being integrated into total body training
How to train the thighs
The thigh muscles are a part of the body on which we often focus our attention from an aesthetic point of view. But is it really possible d imagine thighs? Each person has their own physiological conformation, and as we all know, each body is different. Still, a lot can be done with exercises and some dietary precautions to define and slim the thighs.
The thigh is the part of our body between the hip and the knee. This zone is made up of anterior, posterior, internal, and external muscles. The best-known thigh muscles that are mentioned during training programs are:
- Quadriceps are located in the anterior area of the thigh.
- Biceps femoris located in the posterior area of the thigh.
- Adductors located between the groin and inner thighs.
- Abductors are located on the outer part of the thigh.
Is it possible to slim the thighs?
First of all, let’s debunk the myth that you can reduce or lose fat in specific parts of the body. Fat loss happens all over the place; while you lose weight, you don’t control where it happens before or after. However, you can reduce the overall fat stored in your body by eating healthy and exercising. By eating “clean” without excess, you will reduce fat throughout the body and thighs, thus slimming down those areas that bother you so much.
What it means to eat healthily
If your goal is to slim and improve the appearance of your thighs, you need to burn more calories than you consume during the day. You must have a negative energy balance and lose weight gradually and steadily. It is important not to follow extreme diets and introduce the right amount of food groups every day (carbohydrates, proteins, good fats, vitamins, and minerals).
Here are some suggestions:
- When shopping, always read the labels to understand the number of food groups contained in the foods you buy.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day and before meals. The balance of fluids in the body helps reduce water retention and swelling.
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet.
- Cut back on simple sugars.
- Limit the consumption of complex carbohydrates or sugars; prefer whole-grain ones.
- Cut back on alcohol and fried food.
- Eat more fiber and protein essential for building muscle mass and toning your legs.
- Include at least 2 servings of fruit and 2 vegetables in your food daily.
- Track your meals; reading the amount of food and calories you introduce per day helps you understand how to change and improve your nutrition and plan healthy meals. Use the appropriate apps that you can download from any operating system of your smartphone, and enter everything you eat during the day from time to time. Every night check how it went. Try to be your toughest judge if you really want to get results.
- Sleep well. When you sleep little and badly, you are predisposed to have more fat accumulations, and the next day, tiredness leads to more sugars and less healthy foods. Monitor your sleep with the smartwatch to get an idea of your sleep stages. The Rem phase is the most important for slimming purposes.
Why it is important to train your thighs well
Don’t focus only on slimming your thighs, but also think about the thighs’ physiological function and muscles. Having thighs fat-free and strong, and trained leads you to be more agile, stable, fast, explosive, balanced, powerful.
Training the lower body helps you to: reduce fat mass, define, tone, firm the thighs, improve circulation, have more strength, endurance and balance while walking.
Focus firmly and intensely on the thigh muscles with cardio and muscle strengthening exercises. But don’t forget to train the other parts of the body, recover, and not tire the muscles too much and stretch.
Do the exercises swell and raise the thighs?
The fear of many women when they train their legs is to see their thighs get thick. We understand what happens when we train our legs and follow the correct diet.
Let’s take an example with a pair of jeans. When your thighs are covered in fat, they are not toned, and you do not do thigh exercises; if you wear your usual jeans, you can slip them on without a problem. After weeks of training and dieting, put on the same jeans again, and it no longer rises in the thighs…. because?
You don’t have to despair – it means that your muscles respond to the stimuli of the training you are doing. Untrained fat and muscle make your thighs flabby. Your thighs in this situation become like a pongo that moves, squeezes, and fits in jeans. When you train and build muscle instead, the fat mass becomes lean mass, and you’re previously like clay muscles become like a compact and hard gift package. That’s why the first few months you start exercising, you may not fit into your old jeans anymore, not because your thighs have gotten thick, but because you have made them more toned, beautiful, and compact.
Which workouts to choose to have lean and strong thighs
- Spinning lesson. In just one session, you train the cardiovascular component, firm your legs, and burn calories.
- Dance, dance, you combine cardio and tone your legs.
- Tennis, in addition to working your cardio, you train your legs intensely, as well as your upper body.
- Take the stairs with the appropriate fitness machines, or use those at home, in your condominium, or a few steps.
- Bicycle or stationary bike, brisk walking indoors or outdoors, both activities keep the heart healthy, burn fat and train the legs.
- Swimming, the movement of the water on your thighs as you move, helps you reactivate the circulation and improve the appearance of the thighs.
- Volleyball or basketball both sports trains the cardio part, the legs, and even the arms.
- Horse riding this sports shapes and slims the inner thighs in a particular way.
- Football. Great for burning calories, slimming, and toning your legs.
- Stretching and balance. Balance helps stabilize and firm the thigh muscles, while stretching allows you to relax the fibers and tension in the muscles.
- Strength and endurance training. Performing bodyweight or weight-bearing exercises, which target the thigh muscles, helps reduce fat mass and shape muscles.
- Total body, multifunctional, and time interval training at low and high intensity. Training the other parts of the body also improves the physical and aesthetic performance of the whole body. Training the whole body stimulates circulation and metabolism more.
How to train and slim your thighs
In addition to the exercises to be performed, it is also important to understand how to train. Here are some guidelines to make your program effective.
Reps: If you want to build less muscle, do more reps for each exercise—for example, 15 instead of 20.
Load: the first few times, choose the load suitable for your level of training, then depending on your goal and your physical abilities, increase the load progressively. In addition to the free body, it also trains the thighs with loads.
Perform multi-joint exercises: Make movements that involve both the upper and lower body in one exercise. For example, do a combo squat with upward shoulder thrusts.
Do circuit workouts at a high, medium, and low intensity that involves the whole body: in this way, you work on both the cardio and the muscular part and train the muscles of the whole body. Entering interval workouts will help you burn more calories, boost metabolism, improve cardiovascular health and tone your thighs.
Don’t neglect stretching: at the end of each workout, take a few minutes of stretching to soothe your thighs and relieve muscle tension.
Find time to recover: don’t subject your thighs to exhausting workouts between cardio, weights, and endless bodyweight repetitions every day. You only risk straining your joints and getting injured. Incorporate slower, more static exercises, such as Pilates, into your workout routine. Listen to your body and take the time to recover.
Don’t neglect relaxation: spikes in stress cause your body to produce cortisol. This hormone, if in excess, can lead to storing more body fat. So take the time to train your breathing techniques, do meditation, listen to music, read, watch a good movie, have draining massage sessions useful for deflating the thighs. Do anything that allows you to get rid of the stress.
Raise the legs to the wall: a great position to drain, reactivate the circulation, deflate the thighs and legs.
20 effective exercises to shape and slim the thighs
You can perform the exercises with rubber bands, weights, barbells, Kett, balls, etc.….
5 Exercises for the quadriceps
Squat = Walking lunges = Pistol squat = Deadlift in sumo position = Front lunges.
5 hamstring exercises
Romanian deadlift = Deadlift = Deadlift with 1 leg raised = Step up in ascent and descent on a shelf = Glute bridge with one leg raised, with plantar support on the softball or football.
5 Inner thigh exercises
Sumo squat in drive = Back leg lunge, combined with high knee lift = Front leg kick while keeping balance on one leg only = Squat plie = Isometric squeezed between legs, use a ball or pillow.
5 Exercises for the outer thighs
Side Lunge = Deep Sumo Squat = Back Cross Leg Lunge = Lateral Leg Swing in Standing Position Balancing on One Leg = Alternate Side Leg Spread in Squat Position.
Depending on your goal, load, and fitness level, do 10 to 30 repetitions of each exercise. Repeat each exercise for 2-4 sets.
Do cardio workouts and strength and endurance exercises at least 4 times a week for a total time ranging from 30 to 60 minutes.
6 Beauty tips to drain liquids and improve the appearance of the thighs
- Make scrubs with draining products at least twice a week.
- After the shower, massage your thighs with specific creams or oils to drain, to improve circulation, and for cellulite. If you don’t have time, opt for shower gels or products to use directly in the shower, which have the same function.
- Before showering, use the body brush with natural bristles.
- Try anti-cellulite cups.
- Before you get out of the shower, spray a few jets of cold water on your thighs.
- Get professional massages and treatments to deflate, drain your thighs and improve circulation.